Sunday, November 29, 2009

Winter Enclosure

It's been getting cold around here which has basically brought the boat building to a stop. Too cold for epoxy to set.
I have been pondering different options for being able to fiberglass and maybe paint the bottom of the boat during winter. After looking into heated storage units I decided to just insulate and enclose part of my garage. Hopefully I can heat the area around the boat to the 70F that is ideal for fiberglassing. I have one electric infrared heater so far, I'll see how much it heats the area tomorrow, I may need a second heater though.

My wife calls this my "fort." My father-in law says I should put up a sign that says "He-Man Women Haters Club."

Tasks over the next week are just in prep for fiberglassing. Today after I built the enclosure I began rounding the edges of the boat. This is done so the fiberglass cloth sits smoothly against the wood as it rounds the edge. A blunt edge would not allow the cloth to round the corner and stay attached to the surface, so I am told. I still need to take care of some high and low spots on the hull then it will be ready to glass. Im pretty nervous about that step.
Rounded edge...





Hit Counters
online coupons