Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Sheer Lamination 1

After spending the weekend fitting the chine lamination I moved on to the 1st of 2 sheer laminations around the bottom of the boat (top when upright)

The sheers were much easier than the chine because there is no twist on the sheer just a big bend. The bend is quite severe so that is why two laminations of 1/2" thick wood is used instead of one 1' thick piece. Even so I still had to use towels soaked with boiling water to bend the wood without fear of it breaking in half. It is also tricky to cut the perfect angle in the frame notch to recieve the long sheer but I got it as close as I could and used lots of epoxy. I even tested two scraps of wood and epoxied them together, one was a piece of mahogany the other was the purple heart. The next morning I put the scraps in clamps and tried to break the glue joint. I broke the African mahogany in half and the joint held strong. Purple heart is a really strong wood, the more I work with it the more I fear sanding it, its going to eat sandpaper.

Anyway, to install the sheer I cut the proper angle in the sheer where it meets the stem to get a nice joint. Then I epoxied and bronze screwed/countersunk the sheer to the breasthook and bent the sheer to frame 5-1/2, the first frame aft. I glued/screwed/clamped it and let it cure then did the other side the same way. 12 hours later I glued/screwed/clamped to the next frame aft and thats where I am now.
I just need to do attach the sheer to the last frame and cut the end to fit into the transom notch.

Hit Counters
online coupons