Friday, January 01, 2010

4oz Transom Fiberglass

I ordered the lighter 4oz fiberglass for the transom and sides of the boat Monday the 28th from Infinity Composites in Ohio. I would suggest them to anyone that needs composite cloth of any type. The order arrived on Weds the 30th but I was out of town.
I cut a piece of the glass to fit the transom and mixed some Poxy-Shield epoxy. I also used a different kind of roller to wet out the glass this time. I had been using 1/8" foam rollers from West Marine. Today I switched to cheaper 1/2" thick 6" long foam rollers that you can get at Wal-Mart, Lowes or Menards on the suggestion of a fellow buildier. I dont know if the 4oz cloth is that much easier to wet out or what but the job was much easier with these rollers and gave me confidence for doing the sides. My technique is to roll the epoxy on with these rollers from a paint tray and then only roll the roller in ONE direction. Dont roll it back and forth or it pulls the cloth away from the wood. Also, re-load the roller after each pass but load it lightly. Once you have the cloth fairly wet-out you can roll in any direction but getting the epoxy on the vertical surfaces can be tricky at first.
I took some close up pictures with my cameras "macro mode." If you compare them to the pictures on the bottom fiberglass you cannot see the weave of the 4oz cloth hardly at all. I think I am going to be really happy with the decision to use 4oz fiberglass on the sides.

Tomorrow is going to be a long day of sanding the overhang from the bottom glass on the sides. Hopefully, I can then apply the 4oz glass to the port side on sunday.

Hit Counters
online coupons